PIZZA … FACTs!
When it comes to pizza, everybody loves it …and everybody loves to eat it!
If you are looking for the best pizza in Newcastle you have found your HEAVEN!
As true Italians, we know all about pizza and how to make it jus the way they do it back in Italy. Authentic recipe and Techniques!
Pizza is truly a form of art, and as masters of the art of pizza-making, we want to share with you some secrets, fun facts, curiousities about the most iconic food of our culinary tradition.
How much do you think you know about one of the most popular food in the world?
1.The largest pizza base ever spun was by Tony Gemignani, measuring 33.2 inches.
2.Italy has elected a law that preserves the recipe of their traditional Naples’ Neapolitan pizza.
3. Oxford is the UK city that consumes the most pizza.
4. And apparently 49% of people in the UK eat pizza at least once a week!
5. The first pizzas ever created were sweet not savoury. Nutella pizza anyone??
6. Back in 2006, a Romanian man called Cristian Dumitru once ate 200 pounds of pizza in a single week – that’s more than his entire body weight.
10. The most expensive pizza in the US comes from Nino’s Bellissima Pizza in Manhattan, New York. its toppings? A $1,000 white truffle, lobster and caviar pizza and has to be ordered 24hrs in advance, of course.
11. The largest pizza in the world was created in 1990 at Norwood Pick ‘n Pay hypermarket in Johannesburg, South Africa. By using 500 kg of flour, 800 kg of cheese and 900 kg of tomato puree, this pizza reached the diameter of 37.4 meters. It was entered the Guinness Book of Records as the largest.
12. In 2005, when Pizza restaurant owner Bill Bahr from Iowa managed to create truly immense pizza with the team of 200 helpers. By using 4,000 pounds of cheese, 700 pounds of sauce, and 9,500 sections of crust, his 129 X 98.6-foot pizza managed to provide 10 slices of pizza to every 5200 residents of Iowa Falls.
13. October is the National Pizza Month in the United States – and we have decided to adopt this very worthy tradition! Watch this space…
14. The longest delivery happened in 2004 when vegetarian pizza was transported from Feltham, England to Melbourne, Australia, on a journey over 10,000 miles.
15. Pizza is not always circular! It is also famously baked in Italy in rectangular trays.
16. 5 billion pizzas are sold in entire world annually.
17. In 2010 over $4 billion worth of cheese is estimated to found its home as a topping on a pizza.
19. The largest pizza commercially available is 1 m 37 cm (4 ft 6 in) by 1 m 37 cm (4 ft 6 in), sold at the Big Mama’s and Papa’s Pizzeria, California, US. Serves 50 -100 people! – no we are not going to start selling this!
We will keep updating this article for more interesting and fun pizza facts – so keep an eye out for this!
In the mean time, find out all the delicious pizzas on OUR MENU!